Singapore has been one of the most preferred places for tourism as well as working. Every year so many people try to become permanent residents in the country. But the process varies from person to person.
Once you acquire Singapore PR status then you have successfully set up your first step towards being a Singapore citizen. With a PR status you get various benefits. These include Central provident fund benefits and personal tax relief and subsidy.
How to become a permanent resident in Singapore?
According to existing laws Singapore PR eligibility requires the applicant to have a working pass. This includes Employment pass, Entre pass or a Personalized Employment pass. Also, you should be employed in the country for at least six months to be eligible for a PR.
You can find the PR application website here. There are various criteria under which your employment category will be applicable. Let us take a look how:
1. PR status for Foreign Artistic Talent:
This scheme started in 1991 and ICA and NAC jointly administer the scheme. You have to meet the following conditions to qualify for this scheme:
- Having training, education and professional experience in the field under consideration.
- Track record of achievements in the domain of literary arts, visual arts, performing arts, design, or media.
- History of significant contribution towards arts and cultural space in Singapore.
- Strong record of local engagement leadership level.
- Future plans to have an involvement in the arts and cultural domain of Singapore.
2. PR application for Investors:
Investors planning to invest in Singapore are eligible for PR by application through a Global Investor Program scheme. In this application you can apply for your PR and your immediate family members.
For this you need to set up a business with minimum capital of S$2.5 million. Alternatively, you can invest the same amount with a stable business in Singapore. With the existing policy you get two options:
- Invest at least S$2.5 million in a startup or expand current business.
- Investing at least S$2.5 million in a fund that has approval from GIP.
3.PR for employed individuals:
People who have professional or technical skills are eligible to apply for the PR through PTS scheme. PTS stands for professionals/technical personnel and skilled worker scheme. It is one of the simplest ways to apply for PR in Singapore.
The basic requirement with this scheme is that you should be employed and working in Singapore during the application process. That means you have to shift to Singapore using a work visa called Employment Pass or Personalized Employment Pass.
Which are the documents necessary for a PR application in Singapore?
There are so many documents that you need to provide in order to acquire PR status in Singapore. We have curated the list of documents you will need for the process:
- Proof of employment: It includes contracts, reports of assessment, letter of recommendation, an application letter from employer, and contact details of your employer.
- Education certification: All the certificates for your degrees and diplomas starting from high school.
- Proof of financial stability: Documentation that proves your financial stability. It should also include salary proof and other sources of income.
- Latest copy of your resume.
- Proof of property ownership: documents that provide the proof of the ownership of properties that you have in Singapore.
- Documentation for your spouse and children: only if they are applying for a PR status with you.
Defining the process for PR application:
Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) of Singapore within the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) manages all the PR applications. According to PTS, you have to fill up two forms online: one for yourself and the other for your employer.
It is important to remember that your employer will not be able to sponsor the Permanent Residency. It outlines a detailed explanation of how the documentation should be prepared. Therefore, ensure that you go through all the documentation thoroughly before their submission.
After you complete the forms, attach the digital copy of documents and send them to ICA for review. If your application gets and approval you have to fix an appointment to submit the following documents:
- Proof of employment that you submitted in the application form.
- Medical reports of yourself and your family members if they are also applying with you.
- Your EP and DPs.
Other tips to get an approval for your PR application:
Getting an approval for a application in Singapore is easy if:
- You have been living in Singapore for a very long time. This significantly increases the chances of getting an approval.
- Exploring other options like Singapore Employment Pass, Entrepreneur Pass or Personalized Employment Pass.
Stand eligible to apply for Singapore citizenship if you run a business in Singapore and want to stay there permanently. You can also ask for a work visa that allows you to stay and work in Singapore. You can also bring your family under the Dependent Passes.
You acquire various benefits when you become a Singapore resident. This includes subsidies to start a family that can cause negligible cost for healthcare and education. You can also buy property within a Singapore project.